2nd Sunday of Easter/John 20:19-31
April 18, 2004
1. What is the literary context of this passage, and how does that context impact the reading of this text?
2. What does the fearing attitude of the disciples indicate? How does that recall 9:22; 19:38 and relate to16:32-33?
3. What is the significance of Jesus’ words of peace in vv. 19,21? How do they relate to Jesus prior words regarding peace?
4. How does v. 20 recall 2:18-22 and 16:20-22?
5. How would a vision for mission develop from Jesus “sending” commission in v. 21?
6. What Old Testament passages are being recalled in v. 22? What is the significance of such scriptural recollections?
7. What Johannine passages are being recalled in v. 22? What is the significance of such Johannine recollections?
8. What is the significance of the tense and voice of the verbs in the two apodoses in v. 23?
9. How does v. 25a recall v. 18? What does this indicate about the disciples?
10. In v. 25
a. What is the use of the subjunctives?
b. What is the significance of ou me?
c. What, therefore, is Thomas demanding?
11. How is v. 26 similar to and different from the previous scene? What might these indicate?
12. What does v. 27 indicate about Jesus?
13. What is the significance of Thomas’ response in v. 28? How does this relate to his statement in v. 25?
14. What is the theological significance of Jesus’ congratulatory declaration in v. 29b? How does that relate to a theology of faith and the resurrection?